The landscape of treatment for medical conditions has changed a lot over the last few years. Legalization efforts have people asking “can i smoke weed while on medication?” and exploring new options for treatment.

Psilocybin, commonly known as “magic mushrooms,” has emerged as one of the most promising treatments for depression. Here’s what the science has to say about mushrooms as medicine.

Does Psilocybin Help With Depression?

There’s a lot of conversation around how plants we used to consider “illegal drugs’ ‘ and how they might be used to help improve our lives beyond simple recreation. These conversations include important questions like can antibiotics and weed affect each other and questions about how these substances can help heal illnesses.

There is compelling research that suggests psilocybin does help with depression. The largest study in the world that has taken a look at the interactions between psilocybin and depression was just released. This study seems to suggest that not only is psilocybin an effective treatment for depression, but it treats depression in the long-term.

Let’s take a look at this recent study and how it shows the importance of considering psilocybin, and even cannabis, as medical treatments.

The Compass Pathways Study

TNMNews Shop has been the authority on headshop products and smoke shop accessories since 2015. Shop the best glass bongs, weed pipes for smoking and smoking accessories for rolling joints.

A company known as Compass Pathways conducted what is currently the world’s largest study on the interaction between psilocybin depression. The UK-based pharmaceutical company recruited 233 participants from 10 countries around the world, including America, to study whether or not psilocybin could improve their depression.

In the study, 94% of participants had no prior experience with psilocybin. The other 6% of patients had some prior experience with psilocybin. This means that a large number of the participants, and in fact the vast majority of participants, we’re going into the study without any experience or knowledge of how psilocybin would affect them.

The results of the study were very interesting. In the study, 36.7% of participants reported a 50% improvement in their depression up to three months later. In fact, many of the participants were still in remission from their depression even months after the study was concluded. What dose of psilocybin was required to help these individuals?

The best results in the study were found in individuals who took a single 25 mg dose of psilocybin and continued their therapy appointments. These individuals saw an improvement off of a single dose of psilocybin to last them for months.

Since psilocybin is not addictive, nor does psilocybin have any harmful effects to the organs of the body, any negative effects to participants in the study were incredibly marginal.

Cannabis and Psilocybin Opening Doors for Treatment

A huge part of the advancement in studying the benefits of psilocybin for depression has come thanks to the legalization efforts for psilocybin and cannabis across the country.

It’s incredibly hard to do this kind of research using psilocybin in cannabis. However, it used to be even harder before legalization efforts began around the country. The city of Denver, Colorado and the state of Oregon have implemented at various levels of legalization for psilocybin. The more legalization efforts continue to succeed, the better the research around these substances is going to become.

READ MORE  Initiative to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol in Michigan Qualifies for November Ballot

The growing support for cannabis legalization has also helped move research forward. As more people comment to see the importance of cannabis, more people will also come to see the potential value in psilocybin.

How Psilocybin Treatment Could Work

 

TNMNews Shop has been the authority on headshop products and smoke shop accessories since 2015. Shop the best glass bongs, weed pipes for smoking and smoking accessories for rolling joints.

There are still more questions about issues like marijuana and antibiotics as well as psilocybin treatment for depression. However, the shape of a potential psilocybin treatment is starting to emerge.

Companies are beginning to file paperwork that would allow them to begin issuing psilocybin based treatments for depression. So, how would this look compared to the treatments that we currently have?

There’s still a lot of uncertainty and what psilocybin treatment would look like. However, this study seems to suggest that individuals would only need relatively small doses of psilocybin that could be spaced months apart. It’s important to consider that the study was conducted on individuals with types of depression that are resistant to traditional treatments. With psilocybin helping even the most severe cases of depression, it looks like there’s a brighter future on the horizon.