A Child May Have Have Died From a Marijuana Overdose

Colorado may have the first death caused by a marijuana overdose on record, although there seems to be quite a bit of uncertainly surrounding the findings. Myocarditis is the inflammation of the heart muscle and marijuana consumption has been know to cause the condition.

Although cannabis has been known to induce myocarditis, no one had died of the condition when caused by marijuana until now supposedly. The 11-month-old child that unfortunately passed was living in extremely sub-standard conditions and the parents admitted to drug possession.

The 11-month-old male was admitted to the emergency department after having a seizure, according to the study. Over the previous several days, the child was โ€œirritableโ€ and had been retching and lethargic, the childโ€™s guardian told the doctors. They examined the child and looked at his history and found him to be an otherwise perfectly normal and healthy boy.

After the boyโ€™s death, the doctors tried to figure out what went wrong. The boy had presented with all the symptoms of a condition called myocarditis, where the heart muscles become inflamed. After looking at his blood, they found what they say is the culprit – evidence of THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, the main psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

The doctors wrote that upon reviewing the patientโ€™s history, they discovered โ€œan unstable motel-living situation and parental admission of drug possession, including cannabis.โ€ They pointed to several other cases where patients had experienced myocarditis after smoking marijuana – although all the patients in those cases recovered.

There is still a great deal that must be learned concerning the death of the child, however at this time doctors cannot find any other reasonable cause for the child’s passing. Exactly how such a small child could have ingested the marijuana is still unknown.

read more at miamiherald.com

Leave a Reply